SUMMARY / OFFER:
I offer one-on-one tutoring and homework help, and have taught the following curriculums: Machine Science (robotics) and IMP (alternative math).
Machine Science Robotics
Machine Science offers unique robotics and electronics kits for learners of all ages. Combined with extensive documentation, on-line resources, and other educational materials, these guided projects are suitable for use at home, in the classroom, or as after-school activities.
IMP – Integrated Mathematics Program
IMP is an alternative math program for high school students, which includes group work, presentation skills, explaining your reasoning, and exploring math concepts in real world situations.
The IMP curriculum integrates traditional material with additional topics recommended by the NCTM Standards, such as statistics, probability, curve fitting, and matrix algebra.
Education & Training:
Cornell University, College of Engineering, Ithaca, NY
08/91 – 05/95
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, May 1995
San Francisco Waldorf Teacher Training
09/00 – 05/01
Completed one year of three-year weekend program
The Bay Area Center for Waldorf Teacher Training is a three year, week-end program offering a certificate in Waldorf Education.
After-school Teacher; Dorchester and Somerville, MA
10/05 – 06/06
Teacher; South Shore Charter Public School; Hull and Norwell, MA
08/03 – 06/05
- Taught Machine Science curriculum, including microcontroller programming in C
Teacher; Prospect Hill Academy Charter School; Cambridge, MA
08/02 – 06/03
- High school math teacher, using the IMP alternative curriculum www.mathimp.org
- Also taught computer programming, robotics and web development
Long-term Substitute / Classroom Assistant; Cambridge Public Schools, MA
11/01 – 06/02
- Teacher of computer programming (grades 10-12), algebra (grade 10), and general computers (grades 6 and 12)
- Collaborated on the development of the school’s website
Marin Waldorf School; San Rafael, CA
04/01 – 06/01
- Six-week substitute for 7th and 8th grade algebra and geometry class at the Fletcher/Maynard Academy
- Assisted in 6th-8th grade math classes at the King School and Fletcher/Maynard
- Used Connected Math Program as well as creating my own materials for lessons, class work, homework, and tests
eSCORE.com; Oakland, CA; Web Engineer
10/00 – 03/01
- Part-time aftercare assistant, supervising children in first through fifth grade.
- Contributed to the development of an online service for parents of newborn through teenage children, that would provide custom-parenting advice based on children’s individual needs.
Volunteer Experience Working with Children:
Friends of Art and Design; New York, NY
11/11 – present
HorseAbility; Old Westbury, NY
08/12 – 06/13
- Tutoring algebra, geometry and trigonometry at the High School of Art and Design, 1-2 days per week at lunchtime and after-school.
P.S. 19 Asher Levy School; New York, NY
11/09 – 06/10
- Volunteered approximately once per week, assisting with therapeutic riding lessons for people with special needs (children and adults).
Tutoring Plus; Cambridge, MA
09/01 – 12/01
- Assisted in a 7th grade science class, once per week.
Cambridge School Volunteers; Cambridge, MA
10/01 – 11/01
- Tutored children at a community homework center, and in an after-school program for high school football players.
HandsOn Bay Area; San Francisco, CA
01/01 – 07/01
- Assisted students with homework in a high school tutoring center.
HEROES; Oakland, CA
03/01 – 06/01
- Tutored children at Hamilton Family Center and St. Joseph’s Village, two transitional shelters for homeless families.
Berkeley Youth Alternatives; Berkeley, CA
03/01 – 06/01
- Assisted in a fifth grade classroom at Hoover Elementary.
- Tutored children involved in a youth employment program.